What is Reading Apprenticeship
Reading Apprenticeship is an approach to reading instruction that helps students develop the knowledge, strategies, and dispositions they need to become more powerful readers. It is at heart a partnership of expertise, drawing on what teachers know and do as discipline-based readers, and on adolescents’ and young adults unique and often underestimated strengths as learners. Reading apprenticeship helps students become better readers by:
- engaging students in more reading- for recreation as well as for subject-area learning and self challenge;
- making teacher’s discipline-based reading processes and knowledge visible to students;
- making students’ reading processes, motivations, strategies, knowledge, and understandings visible to the teacher and to one another;
- helping students gain insight into their own reading processes; and
- helping them devel0p a repertoire of problem-solving strategies for overcoming obstacles and deepening comprehension of texts and various academic disciplines.
Learn hands on, practical skills to be employed in your classes and help students understand the processes involved in reading and understanding.
Want to learn more about Reading Apprenticeship? Visit http://ra.3csn.org/