Learning in Community for Transformation: 3CSN’s Principles of Powerful Professional Learning
3CSN’s approach to professional learning includes three core principles: building knowledge, building relationships, and opportunities for praxis—reflection in action on the world to transform it. Our intentional design lays the groundwork for individual and system-wide transformation. Watch the videos below to see our participates and student facilitators share their experience and what they valued in their learning experience with 3CSUn around each of these principles.
Building Knowledge Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0V3fbnDrbY&feature=emb_logo
3CSN’s learner-centered approach is based on theory and research about how learning works.
- Knowledge is co-constructed, building on the collective expertise and cultural wealth of participants and facilitators.
- Facilitators and participants are invited to embrace a learner identity and maintain an inquiry mindset.
- Participants engage in productive struggle while actively constructing and organizing knowledge.
- Reflection and metacognition are at the center.
Learn more: https://3csn.org/knowledgebuilding/
Building Relationships: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiFka9l6e90&feature=emb_logo
3CSN’s has always recognized that relationships are critical to learning and collaboration builds capacity.
- Community agreements for collegial engagement are transparently co-created.
- Participants’’ voices are privileged through active engagement and protocols designed to encourage equitable participation.
- All participants are welcome at whatever level of engagement feels most useful to them.
- Dialogues across campuses and roles are an integral part of the community.
Learn more: https://3csn.org/relationshipbuilding/
Opportunities for Praxis
Opportunities for Praxis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNnI5eFR4fM&feature=emb_logo
Praxis: engaging in a process of reflection, learning, and action in order to transform our classrooms, colleges, and communities—is essential to 3CSN’s approach to professional learning.
- Provide space for participants to reflect upon and apply their learning in community with other practitioners.
- Invite participants to plan next steps for change on their campuses.
- Offer opportunities to continue this work with fellow practitioners on their campuses, in their regions, and across the state.
- Participants become facilitators of change, building capacity on their campuses and enriching 3CSN’s network.