The Equity Summit at Fullerton College on Friday, September 25th drew over 80 participants from around the region to engage in discussion of how we can put equity at the center of our institutions. Keynote speaker, Veronica Neal, shared the story of how she came to this work and asked participants to consider what it takes to be ready to have the challenging and necessary conversations about equity on their own campuses. She helped us define the differences between equity and equality, emphasizing the need for cultural humility and the importance of addressing unconscious bias. She reminded us that such personal examination is foundational to the community building needed to transform our institutions to become more equitable for both students and educators. Breakout sessions provided opportunities to hear about the Equity Team approach used at De Anza College and highlighted successful equity initiatiaves at Southern California colleges. LA Harbor shared how they are doing Culturally Responsive Training with educators across their campus. Pierce College was featured for both their successes with integrated planning across Equity/SSSP/Basic Skills/Achieving the Dream as well as their Town Hall initiative. Puente Project Instructors from both Fullerton and Moreno Valley College shared how the pedagogical approach in the Puente classroom serves broad equity goals. Participants expressed eagerness to learn more about how to implement equity-minded practices, so 3CSN will build upon this interest and provide follow-up events in the spring.
SoCal Equity Summit
- Leveraging Community in Challenging Times – A Message from Our Executive Director, Dr. Deborah Harrington
- Affirming Our Voice through Community and Learning at ASCCC Part-Time Faculty Institute
- “Lollipop Moments,” Learning and Community at 4th Annual SI Regional Conference
- NorCal Colleagues Engage in Transformational Learning at Equity Institute 2.0
- Finding Our Way to Equity, Transformation at SoCal Equity Institute 2.0
- Join Us Friday, June 4th, for Guided Pathways Spotlight, Project-Based Learning, and Anti-Racist Reading Group
- Join Us Friday, May 28th, for Project-Based Learning Spotlight, Anti-Racist Reading Group, and Writing Center Roundtable
- Summer 2021 Equity 101 begins June 7th! Register Now
- Join us for Summer 2021 Design Labs!
- Wayfinding Online Schedule – 5/11-5/14