Do your students struggle to read and understand class materials? Do you ever wonder how to help them engage with the course texts? Do you feel like giving up on assigning reading?
Don’t give up . . . Our Students Can Read our Course Materials!
The Pierce College Student Success Committee will be facilitating a 1-day Reading Apprenticeship workshop on reading and cognitive strategies.
- Reading Apprenticeship is a metacognitive and collaborative approach to making the learning process visible and engaging across the disciplines.
- It is a strategy suggested by Achieving the Dream as a way of improving student success.
- These strategies will help students read, write, learn, understand, and be understood.
This is a hands-on workshop. You will walk away with strategies to use on the first day or week of classes. Here are some the strategies we will facilitate:
- Talk to the text (metacognitive modeling and annotating)
- Evidence/Interpretation (double or triple entry journals)
- Think aloud
- Golden Lines
We will be meeting Wednesday, January 30th, location to be announced, from 9 am to 4 pm. A small breakfast (coffee, juice, and bagels) and lunch will be provided.