Where is your college on the need for accelerated developmental English/Math?
Phase One: Awareness Building
We need to get a discussion going about the problem and potential solutions
- Develop a Core Group of Champions to Advocate for Acceleration on Campus
- Work with Institutional Research Office to Assess Local Campus Data
Phase Two: Developing Accelerated Pilots
We’re aware of the problem and now it’s time to do something about it
- Convene a working group to investigate different approaches to acceleration and determine which to propose as pilot(s)
- Develop pilot(s) – create an experimental course outline and shepherd it through local curriculum approval process, create a plan for evaluating the pilot(s), develop curricula and course materials
- Teach first sections of pilot(s), with an eye toward documentation (challenges, exciting discoveries, sample assignments and student work)
- Work with Institutional Research office to compare pilot cohort’s completion of college-level course with baseline data from traditional sequence
Phase Three: Expanding and Refining Accelerated Approaches
We have some good practices in place, and we want to reach more students and further improve our results
- Guidelines coming soon.