The Equity Summit at Fullerton College on Friday, September 25th drew over 80 participants from around the region to engage in discussion of how we can put equity at the center of our institutions. Keynote speaker, Veronica Neal, shared the story of how she came to this work and asked participants to consider what it takes to be ready to have the challenging and necessary conversations about equity on their own campuses. She helped us define the differences between equity and equality, emphasizing the need for cultural humility and the importance of addressing unconscious bias. She reminded us that such personal examination is foundational to the community building needed to transform our institutions to become more equitable for both students and educators. Breakout sessions provided opportunities to hear about the Equity Team approach used at De Anza College and highlighted successful equity initiatiaves at Southern California colleges. LA Harbor shared how they are doing Culturally Responsive Training with educators across their campus. Pierce College was featured for both their successes with integrated planning across Equity/SSSP/Basic Skills/Achieving the Dream as well as their Town Hall initiative. Puente Project Instructors from both Fullerton and Moreno Valley College shared how the pedagogical approach in the Puente classroom serves broad equity goals. Participants expressed eagerness to learn more about how to implement equity-minded practices, so 3CSN will build upon this interest and provide follow-up events in the spring.
SoCal Equity Summit
- 3CSN Heads Far North to Kick Off Spring Regional Sharing Summits: “Students are Educators; Educators are Students”
- Building Equity-Mindedness in the Northern Region: 3rd Annual NorCal Equity Institute
- Third Annual SoCal Equity Institute- “Building Equity-Mindedness to Support the Vision for Success”
- 3CSN Kicks off Regional Sharing “Empowering Inclusive Learning” Summits at Gavilan College!
- 3CSN Represents at ASCCC Part-Time Faculty Leadership Institute!
3CSN is an initiative of the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office