We are excited to announce a new professional learning opportunity for community college faculty focused on Cultivating a Growth Mindset. This initial professional learning series will take place during Fall 2014 and is open to Southern California Community Colleges only (Training in Fall 2015 will be held in Northern California and will be reserved for Northern California Community Colleges only.) College teams of two to four faculty, who are interested in receiving training in Growth Mindset activities and piloting them in one of their Fall 2014 classes should apply using the application below.
Application Deadline: April 4, 2013
Training Program Information
- Friday training sessions will occur August 15, September 19, and October 10 (2014) at locations in Southern California. Transportation costs will be borne by the participants.
- The final training session (October 10th) will be held as post-conference session at the Fall 2014 Strengthening Student Success Conference in Costa Mesa. Registration fees for the one-day post-conference session will be borne by 3CSN.
- All training sessions will provide expert facilitation and modeling of Growth Mindset activities for the classroom.
- All training sessions will be interactive and provide participants with opportunities to practice activities, generate ideas for classroom applications and ask questions.
- Participants will be expected to pilot and report on six 20-minute Growth Mindset activities within their respective target classes.
- Participants will be expected to participate in the collection of data (both student and faculty) to assess the impact of Growth Mindset activities.
If 3CSN receives more applications than can be accommodated, the following criteria will be used in the selection process:
- Higher priority will be given to those that have attended previous 3CSN Habits of Mind events.
- Higher priority will be given to faculty teams representing a mix of disciplines and roles.
Selected college teams will agree to do the following:
- Attend all three training sessions;
- Identify one Fall 2014 target class for each team member;
- Pilot Growth Mindset activities in target classes between each of the training sessions;
- Report on pilot activities at the September 19th and October 10th sessions;
- Administer 3CSN-developed student surveys to target classes;
- Work with 3CSN on follow-up studies that track how Growth Mindset impacts student retention and completion rates (Mindset-infused courses compared with control courses);
- Complete an evaluation survey to help assess and improve 3CSN’s Growth Mindset training.